Free kicks doom SV soccer in loss


To hear St. Vincent girls soccer coach Cory Strattman put it: seven minutes decided the game.
Cape Central scored twice in the final seven minutes of the first half on free kicks to help propel the Tigers to a 4-2 victory on Monday. Anna Schwartz scored both goals for St. Vincent in the game
That really cost us,” Stratmann said. “They got those two there late in the half and that ultimately was the difference in the game.”
With the game tied at 1-1, a corner kick resulted in a handball in the box as a Tiger’s shot hit the hand of an Indian defender.
The Tigers made the most of the opportunity as Abby Simon converted the ensuing penalty kick.
Mary Schwartz had a free kick for the Indians five minutes later, but the shot was directly at the goalkeeper who made the save.
The Tigers struck shortly there after to put the Indians in a hole.
A minute later a foul was called on St. Vincent just outside the box and the Tigers once again took advantage.
The free kick hit a St. Vincent defender and deflected right to freshman Madison Phelps who buried the chance in the back of the net to give Cape Central a 3-1 lead at halftime.
St. Vincent came out of the halftime break and dominated possession for much of the first 10 minutes.
That paid off as Anna Schwartz was able to tally her second goal of the day, just two minutes in off a free kick from Emme Kirn.
Unfortunately the Indians were not able to get a third, game-tying goal across the line.
“We were pushing really well and kept the pressure on,” Strattman said. “Even though we had all that pressure, we still weren’t able to score it again, but I liked the fight that I saw in the team.”
However, it wasn’t like the Indians weren’t without their chances. St. Vincent back-to-back corner kicks and with 15 minutes left Kamille Graham had a breakaway, but the Cape Central goalkeeper made a diving stop and deflected the ball out of bounds.
She made five saves, while St. Vincent freshman Faith Kell made two.
Kell filled in for Addie Cates, who was injured at the end of basketball season.
Cates is expected back, but Kell will be her replacement until that time. Strattman felt as tough she did a good job.
“That’s a tough spot to ask of anyone, especially a freshman goalie,” he said. “I thought she did a good job back there.”
Unfortunately, she was not able to stop the final Tiger tally, as Cape Central countered after the Graham breakaway and earned another free kick.
This one was the insurance as it was tapped in to make the Tiger lead 4-2.
Cape Central scored three of their four goals from free kicks.
The game was back and forth in the first half with each team having chances.
In the 10th minute, St. Vincent could not capitalize on a free kick that Cape Central had trouble clearing.
Cape Central had a free kick minutes later that was saved by Kell.
Cape Central finally broke through in the 20th minute with a goal to give the Tigers a 1-0 advantage.
Genevieve Lipe took a shot that hit the post two minutes later, before Schwartz finally broke through in the 23rd minute.
St. Vincent will take part in the Noon Optimist Tournament starting today and Strattman is excited to see his team continue to grow as the season goes on.
“I saw a lot of good things tonight,” he said. “I liked our energy and the way we came out and fought with Cape Central, especially when we fell behind. Of course, there are things we need to work on, but I like where we are, this early in the season.”


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment